procmail setup does nothing

2001-03-29 11:34:35
I am trying to set up a spam filter, but every single program I have
downloaded
for my linux machine has had the same problem; all incoming mail gets
filtered.
there are no bounced messages, nothing logged, nothing in /var/log/messages,
etc.

when I remove the .forward file, mail starts working again. if I remove the
rc file,
it logs error messages.

i have download multiple procmail setups form different people and they have
all failed.

if I execute /usr/bin/procmail and then enter some text and then hit CTRL-D,
the mail goes
thorugh OK

here is a sample setup I tried (slackware linux machine):

~/.forward
 "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #root"

and I tried this:
"|exec /usr/bin/procmail #root"

and other variations

gateway:~/.procmail# more ~/.procmailrc
# Set to yes when debugging
VERBOSE=yes

# Remove ## when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging
LOGABSTRACT=all

# Replace $HOME/Msgs with your message directory
# Mutt and elm use $HOME/Mail
# Pine uses $HOME/mail
# Netscape Messenger uses $HOME/nsmail
# Some news clients, such as slrn & nn, use $HOME/News
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail       # Make sure this directory exists!

# Directory for storing procmail-related files
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

# Put ## before LOGFILE if you want no logging (not recommended)
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/testing.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lists.rc

any help?