mail filtering

2001-04-03 13:01:50
I currently operate a mailserver that receives all incoming mail that is
supposed to do filtering prior to forwarding the mail on to other mail
server resources.  A while ago, and using sendmail, I had a mailertable
entry that would redirect all mail for the domain to an Exchange server for
corporate delivery.  Then the mail domain name changed so now I have a bunch
of entries in the aliases file to map older user names to the new user name
and domain name (so that mailertable entry is now gone).

I still need to do some front end SPAM filtering but am finding that
procmail will not get invoked if the mail is not delivered locally (I now
have a mailertable entry like so: 'mydomain.com  procmail:/etc/procmailrc'
that gets procmail to do the filtering for all local deliveries).

As I have been searching for a solution that would allow a filter to be
activated prior to being queued and aliases resolved, I was wondering if it
would be possible to use a similar mailertable entry and a script that would
do the required filtering, then do the alias resolving and redirecting??  A
question that comes to mind... is it possible to obtain the username that
the email was being delivered to as a variable in the procmail script that
is being called (/etc/procmailrc in the above example)?

Does this sound like a possibility?  Or is there a better way?  Does anyone
know of a better MTA that will allow this?

Thanks for your time,

-Craig