Re: Subject length

2001-04-06 08:44:15
Trevor Jenkins wrote:
procmail has a feature for checking the length (number of lines) of the

I thought it was bytes.  From procmailrc(5)

       <    Check if the total length of the mail is shorter than
            the specified (in decimal) number of bytes.

body of a message. Is there a similar feature whereby I can check the
length (number of characters) of a particular header line? I'm thinking
particularly of the Subject line ...

       BIGSUBJECT=128
       :0
       * ? test `formail -xsubject: | wc -c` -gt $BIGSUBJECT
       {
              # subject is too long!

Now something like this might be usable as a starting point for
something a little nicer:

       BIGSUBJECT=128
       :0
       * ^Subject: *\/[^ ].*
       { SJ=$MATCH }

       :0a
       * SJ ?? > BIGSUBJECT
       {
              # subject is too long!

The above recipes are of course untested...
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.