Re: Removing multiple spaces from Subject lines

2001-04-08 14:34:58
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> wrote:

From: Trevor Jenkins <trevor(_dot_)jenkins(_at_)suneidesis(_dot_)com>

From: Trevor Jenkins <trevor(_dot_)jenkins(_at_)suneidesis(_dot_)com>

Now to solve the problem of overly long subject lines.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I tried a completly different approach to this part of the problem
(expunging multiple spaces). I used tr with its --squeeze-repeats
option. Works fine. :-)

Although it might be less efficient to run tr than sed, using tr
makes it [snip]

I'm confused at the continuity, or lack thereof.  I see, of course,
that the subject-line of this thread is mainly about killing extra
spaces.  But the tangent I'd addressed was about long subject-lines.

There is absolute continuity on my part. The extraneous spaces contribute
to the problem of overly long subject lines. Using tr --squeeze removes
many (actually most) of the instances where this occurs in the email I
receive.

Now you've quoted that, and replied, sans segue, as if I'd been
discussing killing extra spaces again.  IDGI.  (I don't get it.)

Think of it as incrementalism. If the extraneous spaces are the cause of
the long lines then I can stop. When, if, I need to go further I'll
readdress the code.

As for killing extra spaces, last year I posted a way to do that
with procmail alone.  I don't claim that it's more efficient or
easier to follow than a sed or tr approach, though.  But here it
is, again.

As I said (sed :-) earlier I find my tr based soultion to be
self-explanatory and self-documenting. I'd rather have tr cause a little
inefficiency than try to fathom the content of 29 (12+16+1) lines not
counting the comments of procmail coding. Maybe when I've mastered
procmail I'll understand what you're receipes cook up. But until then I'm
just blinded with science. Now it you can state that they are more
efficient than a one time call of tr maybe I'd have the incentive to
understand the mixture.

For my own purposes, I was trying to capture subjects containing
"commands" (defined as such only by me and my .procmailrc).

But all I'm trying to do is clean the subject lines up before I mung list
tags. Anything else is over-kill for me. May show your prowess
withprocmail but doesn't help my learning processes.

BTW, you do not need to keep send me separate copies. It is considered
acceptable and to be a good netizen to allow someone to read it once via
the list.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!