Re: splitting a large mailbox

2001-04-17 15:29:38
Richard Ball followed up,

| Thanks David.

You're welcome.

| What I had tried was:
|
| mboxsplit.rc has this:
|
| :0
| tmp/mails/.
|
| and running formail with this (as a Q&D test):
|
| cat mailbox | formail -cs procmail -m mboxsplit.rc
|
| This took at least 30 minutes.

Other than an extra instant for the superfluous cat, I'd have to guess that
the extra time went to procmail's calculating the numbers to use as MH-style
filenames.  In my code formail hands procmail the number on a silver platter.

Also, formail's -c option would take some cycles and not gain you anything of
use, at least not of use in dividing the mbox into individual files for each
message.  But I think that was a negligible contributor to the extra time.

| I just ran your method and it split out the 2125 messages in slightly under
| two minutes which is not only a vast improvement but even quite acceptable
| considering what is going on.

Glad to have helped.

| BTW giving or not giving the n flag to formail made no difference.

That surprises me.