Re: One post and the spam begins.....

2001-04-27 17:22:34
On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 05:27:48PM +0000, Subba Rao wrote:

I have made one post to some Usenet groups and the spamming began. What is the
best way to beat this? One simple reciepe request, how do I find out if the
mail
has the same address in the"To:" and "From:" fields?

Please also advice, how to beat the spamming b#(_at_)*^%(_dot_)

I see the same thing; they're definitely data-mining the newsgroups,
and no it doesn't have to bother you.  :-)  Mine get saved to IN.spam,
which I spend a few ours on per week forwarding to their ISP.  I never
have to look at them, 'til I want to see their headers; their subject
lines or email addresses are usually enough to give them away.
procmail efficiently stores all other mail in other IN.* files, which
show up at the beginning of my list of mail folders in mutt.

I think I'm using a feature right now that I don't understand (and
which lost me mail), but I just disabled that until I figure out the
right way to use it (formail -D), and what happened.

And, this list is *very* helpful.

I fount Timo Salmi's stuff to be most useful.  I think this is right:

    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html

It's an ongoing battle, but soon after I started using procmail, they
ceased to be an irritation, and became a hobby to track them down.  I
like usenet.  The spammers have no right to mangle it the way they
have.  Munged email addresses are the wrong way to go.  Use procmail,
post with your real address, fight and take usenet back, I say.

Also it saves me from the fate of relying on someone else's free web
email account, to which so many of my friends resort.

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
     keeling(_at_)spots(_dot_)ab(_dot_)ca        Give up Spammers; I use
procmail.