empty /var/mail files

2001-05-08 13:43:15
I found in the mailing list archive references to changing the $ORGMAIL
line in config.h

from

#define DEFdefault      "$ORGMAIL"

#define DEFdefault      "$HOME/Maildir/"

in order force procmail to use maildir boxes in each users directory.
However, after this change there is an empty /var/mail/ file created
with this type of set up.  Looking at the mailing list archive again
there are also references to changing src/authenticate.c and recompiling
procmail (but there was no specific value mentioned).
So I changed:

#define MAILSPOOLDIR "/var/mail/"

#define MAILSPOOLDIR ""

This seems to have fixed the empty file problem, however I don't know if
there are any consequenses to defining MAILSPOOLDIR as an empty string.
Is this OK to do?  Thanks for any input.

Aaron