Re: user shell requirments for procmail to work?

2001-05-18 04:03:01
Peter Rose <peter(_at_)cyberscreen(_dot_)com> writes:
However, I noticed that everything is fine for normal user accounts that
have been created with a valid shell, and hence have the .bashrc files
and so forth in their home directories, but I also have some users set
up as POP users only. I set up home directories with .procmailrc files
for these, but mail was only delivered there once I set them up with a
valid shell.

My concern is that I don't want to give shell permissions to mail-only
users.

You need to add an entry to /etc/shells containing either their
(non-standard) shell or the exact line.

/SENDMAIL/ANY/SHELL/

The latter tells sendmail that _all_ users/uids can forward messages
to programs and files.  On the other hand, putting someone's shell in
/etc/shells also means they can ftp to their own account.  So, think
about what these users should be doing before you make you choice.

Philip Guenther