Re: auto-reply to alias list

2001-06-04 22:50:28
Mark_Saunders <Mark_Saunders(_at_)piucorp(_dot_)com> writes:
I have "everybody" configured as an alias to all users on my mail
server.
I would like to restrict who can send to this alias.

The "everybody filter" code below blocks the appropriate users, but the
auto-reply sends back the denial message
to the sender once for each member of the alias list!

You need to do the filtering _before_ the alias is expanded, which means
the alias needs to be indirected through a program rather than simply
expanded by sendmail.  Probably the *simplest* method of doing so is to
make the 'everybody' address a mailing list which only certain people
can post to.

Filtering it in the /etc/procmailrc file has problems like this, but worse
than that, it's trivial to get around: someone can send a message that
doesn't have "everybody" in the header, but still is delivered to the
alias (message header != message envelope!), so that ^TO_ won't match
but everyone will still get the message.  Once the alias is expanded,
you're screwed.

Philip Guenther