Re: Subject Line <PROCMAIL> Suggestion

2001-06-11 14:18:15
At 14:27 2001-06-11 -0400, Douglas J. Hunley wrote:

[snip - Jim Scott asked for a procmail subject banner]

on the other hand, this is something you could do yourself in a procmail
recipe ;)

Agreed (on both accounts).

# (from elsewhere in my main filter block)
:0
* ^Subject:[    ]*\/[^  ].*
{
        SUBJECT=$MATCH
}

:0f
* ^Sender: procmail-admin(_at_)lists\(_dot_)rwth-aachen\(_dot_)de
* ! ^Subject:.*\[PROCMAIL\]
| formail -I "Subject: [PROCMAIL] $SUBJECT"

There you are. Of course, I don't bother whacking the subject - I just filter the mail into a folder for procmail messages, since, well, procmail is good at doing that. For my non-*nix based mail client, I add an additional header to simplify filtering within that client - it merely identifies which mailbox the client should dump the message into. All is well.

Note also that rewriting the subject lines will cause grief for other subscribers of the list who'd just as soon not see this crap on each message, since all the other messages on the list won't have them, only the messages which you reply to (including those in other threads of discussion).