Re: Filters getting skipped

2001-06-13 14:55:58
At 18:58 2001-06-11 +0100, Stephen Patterson wrote:
I've created a .procmailrc which is meant to filter all mail into a
spam box unless it is sent directly to me or to a selection of lists
that I have subscribed to. However, the procmail is treating
everything as spam. I've tracked the problem down to somewhere in this
recipe.

And VERBOSE=ON tells you what?  You HAVE run the rules with VERBOSE=ON, right?

:0:
  # .*ylug
*  ^To.*ylug.*|\
  # Foxxfire

As a general rule, I don't mix comments in with the rule conditions. Not the least of the problems is how do you consistently allow for a line continuation from within a comment, without assuming the continuation itself is a comment?

If you ran with logging on, this problem would become pretty clear:

procmail: No match on "^To.*ylug.*|# Foxxfire"
procmail: Skipped "^To.*procmail.*|\"
procmail: Skipped "^From.*procmail.*|\"
procmail: Skipped "^TO_general-list(_at_)linuxprinting\(_dot_)org(_dot_)*|\"
procmail: Skipped "^From.*Fatalis.*|\"
procmail: Skipped "^From.*Randy Entinger.*|\"
procmail: Skipped "^From.*soappuppy.*"
procmail: Skipped "mbox"

Further (though it has nothing to do with your rule failure), the .* AFTER the desired key text is superfluous -- you're saying ZERO OR MORE characters, in which case, NOTHING is perfectly acceptable, so why bother with the specification?

:0:
* ^.*
spam

Uh, no need for a CONDITION here which is a waste of cycles, just dump away.