Re: Mail notification not working

2001-06-13 13:26:17
Edward Sabol suggested to Chris S.:

| There's no solution for finger that I know of, unless you want to continue to
| file your non-mailing list e-mails in /var/spool/mail/username.

I'm wondering if this will do it (assuming $SHELL is set to /bin/sh or some-
thing compatible); it seems to work here:

 # apostrophes, not backticks
 TRAP='test -s $ORGMAIL && touch $ORGMAIL || echo >> $ORGMAIL'

In other words, if the spool is non-empty, update its modification time;
if the spool is empty (of if the touch command didn't work), append a
newline to it.  That will make sure that whenever you receive mail your spool
file is non-empty (just a newline in it, not any mail) and freshly marked as
modified.

If your fingerd reports unread mail if the spool is empty but freshly
touched, you can do this:

 TRAP='touch $ORGMAIL' # setting of $SHELL won't matter