Re: Mail notification not working

2001-06-13 23:15:15
It works! Added the line to my .procmailrc and it works when I'm not logged
on.

Just as a slight observation, this would make the /var/mail/spool/username
file perpetually grow larger everytime email was received.  I guess I can
add a cron job or something to reset the file size so it dosen't get outta
control.

Thanks alot.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 08:04:02PM -0500, "David W. Tamkin"
<dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com> wrote:
I suggested a TRAP assignment to Chris, who asked,

| Ok, I understand what its trying to do, but since I'm stupid, where do I put
| it?  If I put it in my .bash_profile it works only when I'm logged in, but
| not when I'm logged in?

You put it into your .procmailrc above any delivering recipes, so that it
works when you receive email.

| I guess what I'm asking for is to have finger work when I'm not logged in.

If finger never works at all when you're not logged in, that's a different
problem.  I thought your question was how to make finger show the last time
you received email, including email that is delivered elsewhere than your
spool file.