Re: Mail notification not working

2001-06-13 11:16:30
Chris asked:
I'm using procmail to seperate all my mail into different mailboxes based on
certain rules (mail list stuff mostly).  I noticed sine I'm not using
/var/spool/mail/username anymore, that my mail notification dosen't work
when I log in or when I finger my acct.

Is there a solution or work around for this problem?

There's no solution for finger that I know of, unless you want to continue to
file your non-mailing list e-mails in /var/spool/mail/username.

As for when you're logged in, there are a couple of solutions:

If you're using X Windows, I heartily recommend "xbuffy", a truly wonderful
utility, especially if you configure it to do useful things like starting up
your mail client when you click on a specific mailbox. It's kind of a
multiple mailbox version of "xbiff". You can download the source code at:
http://www.fiction.net/blong/programs/#xbuffy

If you're talking about the command line, you'll probably want to look into
setting the $mail variable (if you're using tcsh or other csh-like shell)
and/or the $MAIL environment variable in your shell. Bash and ksh have
similar variables. Check your man pages.