relay performance?

2001-06-26 07:53:55
Hello,
I have sendmail (8.11) running on a sun e450 (1 * 296MHz, solaris 2.7) and I
am thinking of using procmail to filter all messages using a mailertable
entry for .PROCMAIL, etc.  The server isn't terribly busy (5-10,000
messages/day) but what kind of extra load should I expect from the
filtering?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages to setting the sendmail
delivermode to "q" instead of background?  I'm thinking that this will slow
mail transit some but prevent sudden spikes in traffic from overwhelming the
server with processes.. on the other hand the max number of processes is
tunable so this may not be an issue.

And finally, I'm thinking of migrating to postfix down the road, and I would
be interested to hear any quantitative performance increases from similar
setups.

Thanks for any advice.

Dustin