Re: ORGMAIL enviroment - please help me

2001-07-03 20:36:06
Martin asked,

| I use Sendmail as my Mail server. The sendmail use Procmail to deliver
| local messages. Procmail deliver local messages to the standard mailboxes
| (/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME). I would like to move this mailboxes to other
| place (for exmaple: /Mail/$LOGNAME).
| So I created "procmailrc" file in /etc  and wrote only following text
| "ORGMAIL=/Mail/$LOGNAME" to them. Unfortunately, the procmail still use the
| default way.

To change the value of ORGMAIL properly, you have to recompile procmail and
set it in src/authenticate.c (I think that's the right file).  Doing it in
/etc/procmailrc won't really do the job; procmail, unless the -m option is
in effect, checks for the writability and security of $ORGMAIL under its
compiled-in value before even reading /etc/procmailrc.

It also sets DEFAULT to the compiled-in value of $ORGMAIL.  What's really
happening to you is that procmail is delivering to $DEFAULT, which is still
/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME, and then it doesn't deliver to $ORGMAIL because
it was able to deliver to $DEFAULT.  If you assigned DEFAULT=/Mail/$LOGNAME
in /etc/procmailrc as well as assigning ORGMAIL, that would seem to solve
your problem, but it really wouldn't, because procmail would still perform
the sanity check on /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME instead of /Mail/$LOGNAME.
The only real solution is to recompile procmail.

If you can't recompile procmail, can you do this?  Move all the existing
mailboxes out of /var/spool/mail/ into /Mail/, rmdir /var/spool/mail/ and
re-create /var/spool/mail as a symlink pointing to /Mail/.