Re: using procmail on old mail

2001-07-04 06:08:38
If you use an MUA that lets you pipe a message through a program or
filter (like mutt) you might try this:

Set up a macro that pipes the macro through the commandline:
macro index F "| /usr/bin/procmail -m~/.procmailfix"

In mutt this will pipe the current message through procmail, using
~/.procmailfix as the .rc file.  Set your recipes in there, and make
sure to deliver the filtered message to a temp folder.  Then just
whack the old ones and move the new ones back.

This worked like a charm for me, with one drawback:  It only worked on
one at a time.  In mutt, tagging several messages and piping them
through all at once resulted in a single message in the destination
folder made up of all the tagged messages.  This is why I set the
macro - then just hold down the key you tied the macro to . . .

With 3700 messages you may want to find a way to do this all in one
wack, but hopefully this is a good place to start.

HTH
Lou

On 07/04/01 01:55 PM, Marcel Schulte sat at the `puter and typed:
Hi procmail folks,

I'd like to use procmail to filter my old mail (approx. 3700 in
Courier-IMAP-Maildir) in folders.

How do I do that? All mail reside in "Maildir/cur"...

Thanx a lot,
Marcel

Louis LeBlanc
leblanc(_at_)acadia(_dot_)ne(_dot_)mediaone(_dot_)net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                Ô¿Ô¬