Re: Procmail version 3.21 released

2001-07-04 05:45:10
* David W. Tamkin <dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com> [010703 15:45]:

First, I think you meant -Yf-, not -Yf (-f needs an argument); second,
unless your sysadmin defines it in /etc/procmailrc, $USERNAME is not what
you would need but rather $LOGNAME, except that, since procmail has already
dropped privileges by that point and is running as you, you don't need the
-d option at all; third, you probably would NOT want to use the -m option,
since it will unset $ORGMAIL and remove the built-in failsafe provision for
times when you aren't using procmail as an in-line filter.

All told, here's how I'd do it; instead of using two rcfiles (it's very
similar to what I just advised Jill!) just start your .procmailrc like this:

 :0 # recurse if version is earlier than 3.21 and we haven't already recursed
 * ! RECURSED ?? on
 * PROCMAIL_VERSION ?? ^^\/[0-9.]*
 * $ -${MATCH:-0}^0
 * 3.21^0
 | /path/to/current_version/procmail RECURSED=on

 rest_of_your_recipes_go_here

Yes, the trailing asterisk instead of a plus sign in the extraction is inten-
tional.  If it's so old a version of procmail that the PROCMAIL_VERSION vari-
able didn't exist yet, we want to match on the condition and set MATCH="".

Perfect, thanks!  Everything is working great now.  :)

--
Dubya in his own words:
"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature