Re: using procmail twice

2001-07-06 02:14:17
Hi,
thanks for the hints. I looked around and found this in the procmail man page:

Procmail is not the proper tool for sharing one mailbox among many users,
such as when you have one POP account for all mail to your domain. It can be
done if you manage to configure your MTA to add some headers with the
envelope recipient data in order to tell Procmail who a message is for, but
this is usually not the right thing to do. Perhaps you want to investigate if
your MTA offers `virtual user tables', or see e.g. the `multidrop' facility
of Fetchmail.

What Do you think about that?

regards

Stefan

MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail
VERBOSE=yes

:0:

* ^TOadam(_at_)spyderworks\(_dot_)de
adam

YOU ARE TRYING TO ROUTE EMAIL BASED ON THE MESSAGE HEADER.  THIS DOES
NOT WORK.  THe MTA which puts all the mail for your domain into a single
folder needs to be configured to save the envelope recipient somewhere
so that you can extract it later to correctly route the messages.
As has been discussed *MANY* times on this mailing list, schemes like
the one you show above don't correctly handle mailing lists, bcc's,
or resent messages.

I suggest searching the mailing list archives for "envelope recipient"
and "virtual domain" and reading carefully what it returns.

Philip Guenther

best regards

Stefan Rauch <stefan(_dot_)rauch(_at_)spyderworks(_dot_)de>