Re: next musing: deleting a file within procmail

2001-07-10 00:37:45
"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)ripco(_dot_)com> writes:
Don and I were experimenting at the same time, and he had,
| :0:LOCKFILE
| { }

| procmail: Extraneous locallockfile ignored

My first thought was to set the lockfile that way, since when I'd be using
this I'd already have a regional lockfile in effect and wouldn't want to
lose it.  Given that it is officially "ignored" I'm surprised it still was
forced and took.

If procmail logs a warning message about something you did, then its
behavior may change in future releases as the behavior is 'fixed'.  So,
don't depend on the above (locallockfile on a non-cloning nested block)
working.

I did it this way:

:0:.lock # that was the name I used
$DEFAULT

because I was dropping to $DEFAULT anyway.

I suppose one could do this:

:0c:.lock
{ HOST }

These both work and will continue to work.

Unless procmail has some other way besides lockflie removal to get rid of a
file, that is.

The only time a procmail process will remove a file that it didn't create
is when removing a stale lockfile.

Philip Guenther
Procmail Maintainer