Re: Yahoo! Clubs, or how to create a mailbox from the subject

2001-07-11 10:07:22
* Don Hammond (procmail1(_at_)tradersdata(_dot_)com) wrote:
:0
* ^Subject:.*\[Yahoo! Clubs: \/[^]]+]$
* MATCH ?? ^^\/[^]]+
{
   xFILE=`echo "$MATCH" |tr -s '\t ' '_'`
  :0:
   $xFILE
}

Nice and (relatively) simple, i like that. Gotta test it today :)

The translation of space chars to underscores could undoubtedly be done
with a resursive call to an rcfile, but this seems reasonable. ;-)

Caveats (that I can think of):
1. Your tr must understand \t for tab (unless you don't think it's
necessary and it's removed). GNU tr does - I don't know if others do.

I use Linux Mandrake, that's no problem :)

2. This won't match if there is whitespace between the [Yahoo! ...] crap
and the end of the Subject: line. It could be fixed, if necessary, by
inserting [   ]* (space,tab char class) just before the $ anchor.

I don't think that's possible, that gets inserted automagically, by a script
i suppose, so i don't think it'll change

3. If there are any ] chars before the final closing one the \/ operator
will truncate $MATCH at that point, delivering to a filename at least
slightly different than you might expect.

I don't think that's possible either for the same reason

4. If there are any / chars within the [Yahoo! ...] crap a matching
directory hierarchy would be expected. I don't think procmail creates
directories, so you'd probably get a write error and presumably
failsafe delivery to $DEFAULT. If that's a risk, you would either want
to add / to the tr command to translate it to _, or use a second tr pipe
(same command line) to translate / to something else of your choosing.
You might want to do the same thing with some other chars like \ also,
just on general principles.

I would deliver to Maildirs, so it would create directories, but not in the
same way, but i think that's not possible for the above reasons

5. You might need/want to prepend a path to $xFILE.

Of course, i put all my lists in ~/Maildir/lists/listname

--
                       /"\
Don Hammond            \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign

Nice campaign, added it to my .signature too, let it grow :)