Re: Information about Procmail

2001-07-16 09:18:38
On 16 Jul, Harsha Vardhana R wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I need to clarify a few issues related to Procmail.
|
| 1) Is it possible to employ Procmail so that the contents of the mail are
| stored in a particularly directory and a script is started to process the
| contents ? I am considering whether it is possible to send a mail to a
| SOLARIS account which puts the contents ( text, MS Word documents etc) in a
| particular web-directory depending on the subject. If that is possible , is
| it mandatory that the contents can be stored in a sub-directory of the home
| directory of the recipient?

Yes it's possible. And no the directory does not need to be below the
user's home directory. But the user will have to have write permission
in the target directory.  Note that procmail is not mime "aware", nor
aware of any body content for that matter. So processing of the
attachments will have to be with external tools (e.g. uudecode,
metamail). There are regular discussions of attachment handling which
can be found in the archive (see below). Basically, you'll match some
criteria then have procmail run some corresponding action of your
specification.

| 2) Does procmail need a particular process to be running? If so, how to
| start such a process?

If you mean some related daemon process, no.  If not, I don't know what
you mean. Procmail is usually(?) invoked by the MTA (e.g. sendmail) to
deliver mail locally. This may be by configuration/integration, or by
way of ~/.forward.

| 3) Where can I get more information about other features of Procmail?

www.procmail.org
man procmail, procmailrc, procmailsc, procmailex
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/procmail

And here, of course.

--
                         /"\
Don Hammond              \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign