Kernel-lock failed?

2001-07-16 09:37:03
I'm having problems with an installation of procmail on a SunOS 4.1.4 3
platform.  I've installed procmail on many different systems and platforms,
and I think the only thing different about this machine is that it uses
NIS.  I tried the most recent procmail version (3.21) and had problems,
so I went back to v 3.13.1 and have the same problems.  Version info:

procmail v3.13.1 1999/04/05, Copyright (c) 1999, Stephen R. van den Berg
                                                        <srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl>
Locking strategies:     dotlocking, flock()
Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
Your system mailbox:    /var/spool/mail/haferman

My .forward:
"|/userspace/u/h/haferman/bin/procmail #haferman"
[I tried the typical
"|IFS=' ' && exec /userspace/u/h//haferman/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75
#haferman"
but got complaints about the ampersands not being liked]

Problem:  99% of the mails that are forwarded through procmail get a
procmail: Kernel-lock failed
message.
Some of the mails get filtered through formail, and about 50% of the time
I get
/u/h/haferman/bin/formail: /u/h/haferman/bin/formail: cannot execute binary file
procmail: Program failure (126) of "formail"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
but this error is inconsistent (ie sometimes the recipe works fine, sometimes
I get the error.)  My config and rules files work fine on several
other machines and platforms, and were copied over to this new machine.

If I save the mail into a local file and then pipe into procmail, i.e.
cat mailfile | formail -ds procmail
all works well.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Jeff