Re: Kernel-lock failed?

2001-07-18 08:46:23

I responded privately to Ade.  If anyone else is really interested,
let me know.

Ade Talabi wrote:
Jeff Haferman,

Can you elaborate more on this?

Jeff Haferman (Jeff_Haferman(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com) said thusly on [17/07/01 at
21:14]:

Found the problem... my shell provider has an MTA that has security
settings that essentially disallow using my own local copies of
the procmail suite.

They do have their own "procmail wrapper" which does allow me to
use procmail.  So far, it all seems to work as I would expect.

Jeff

Jeff Haferman wrote:
I'm having problems with an installation of procmail on a SunOS 4.1.4 3
platform.  I've installed procmail on many different systems and platforms,
and I think the only thing different about this machine is that it uses
NIS.  I tried the most recent procmail version (3.21) and had problems,
so I went back to v 3.13.1 and have the same problems.  Version info:

procmail v3.13.1 1999/04/05, Copyright (c) 1999, Stephen R. van den Berg
                                                   <srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl>
Locking strategies: dotlocking, flock()
Default rcfile:             $HOME/.procmailrc
Your system mailbox:        /var/spool/mail/haferman

My .forward:
"|/userspace/u/h/haferman/bin/procmail #haferman"
[I tried the typical
"|IFS=' ' && exec /userspace/u/h//haferman/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75
 #haferman"
but got complaints about the ampersands not being liked]

Problem:  99% of the mails that are forwarded through procmail get a
procmail: Kernel-lock failed
message.
Some of the mails get filtered through formail, and about 50% of the time
I get
/u/h/haferman/bin/formail: /u/h/haferman/bin/formail: cannot execute binary
file
procmail: Program failure (126) of "formail"
procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
but this error is inconsistent (ie sometimes the recipe works fine,
sometimes
I get the error.)  My config and rules files work fine on several
other machines and platforms, and were copied over to this new machine.

If I save the mail into a local file and then pipe into procmail, i.e.
cat mailfile | formail -ds procmail
all works well.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Jeff