some spammers sneaking into my greenbox

2001-07-19 14:05:37
For a long time now, I have been successfully using this recipe

 :0:
 * ? formail -rtzxTo: | fgrep -i -f $PMDIR/greenlist
 in-greenbox

to place messages from people who I correspond with into my
greenbox. Recently some messages that have a From: (and `From ')
header that contain an email address that is *not* in my
greenlist have been delivered to my in-greenbox. One oddity is
that the From: header shows up between Received: headers so maybe
it is bogus and `formail -r' ignores it? Is anyone else using a
recipe like this and seeing this? Part of my problem in trying to
debug this is that I don't really know what algorithm `formail
-r' uses to generate the autoreply To: header. I'd appreciate any
thoughts about how to debug this and figure out how those
spammers are getting false matches against my greenlist!

Thanks much,
Nancy

--
ii Procmail QStart: <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>

Nancy McGough           <http://www.ii.com/>           Infinite Ink
= Sent via Pine 4.39.99: IMAP, NNTP & ESMTP for Unix/Win/Mac OS X =