.procmailrc file in new account not recognised

2001-07-22 03:29:45
Hello,

Thanks to the information on this list, I have started using procmail on
my RH6.1 server.

I have no /etc/.procmailrc, but I have put the following .procmailrc as
a standard starting point in all my account home directories when
setting up and testing:

DEFAULT=$HOME/.mail
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all
LOGFILE=/home/username/procmail_log

#starting rudimentary spam filter

:0:
*^Subject:.*\<FREE\>|\<WIN\>
$HOME/.spam

(where 'username' is of course the full account name)

All this has been working fine and delivery the mail into $HOME/.mail
for all accounts. My first attempts at spamfiltering even seem to be
working.

However, today I created a new full user account and copied the above
.procmailrc into it as follows:

DEFAULT=$HOME/.mail
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all
LOGFILE=/home/graptolites/procmail_log

:0:
$HOME/.spam

When I send test mails to this account, everything is delivered to the
system default of /var/spool/mail.

Nothing is showing up in the procmail logging for this account or in the
system maillog to give a clue as to any errors. All other accounts are
still fine.

When I first started using procmail, I discovered that if I set up
pop3-only accounts (I use linuxconf), their .procmailrc did not take
effect until I turned them into full accounts with all the usual .bashrc
files and so on.

I have compared the file and directory permissions on this new account
(graptolites) with all the other user accounts, and I cannot find any
difference that might account for procmail not kicking in.

I have also added /sendmail/any/shell to my /etc/shells file, as
suggested by Philip, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any clues as to what is presumably a glaring beginner's error would be
welcome.

TIA

Peter Rose
London UK