procmail invocation via postfix fails on large mbox files

2001-07-22 21:36:56
Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with the following problem.

The server runs postfix and uses procmail to deliver mail (the config
file contains mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail). A user account has a
.procmailrc file containing this:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

:0:
lfsdiscuss

:0:
lfsapps

and a lot more like this, to sort mailinglist traffic into seperate mbox
files (that are archived and converted to html).

Now the problem is with the lfs-discuss list. The mbox file is around 50
MB at the moment and procmail is not 'procmail'ing' to Mail/lfsdiscuss
anymore. Instead it just stays in the spool file (in /var/mail). Mail to
other lists are appended to their respective mbox files in Mail/ just
fine.

When I remove a few emails from Mail/lfsdiscuss, then procmail will
append to the lfsdiscuss file, until a certain size has been reached,
after which procmail won't append anymore.

I have done various tests and all lead to the same conclusion that
procmail stops delivering after a file reaches a certain limit. I
haven't determined the hard byte size yet in case you need to know it.

How am I sure of this?
I remove one email that's about 24 lines. I can add various small emails
to the list (say 5 lines each) to about 4 or 5. Or I can add one email
of 24 lines. When I send one email exceeding that size, it ends up in
the spool file. So i'm pretty sure it is a file size, and not a corrupt
mbox or not properly working MTA or anything. But of course I could be
overlooking something.

I can't find any procmail errors in any of the sys logs that could help
me track down the problem, so my last resort was subscribing to this
list and hope somebody can help me along here.

Any help is appreciated,

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org