Re: procmail invocation via postfix fails on large mbox files

2001-07-22 23:43:01
On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 01:11:17AM -0400, Don Hammond wrote:
I don't have any ideas on what might be causing the problem, but AFAIK
all procmail logging is to it's own logfile(s) which you define with a
LOG= statement in the rcfile(s). Procmail does not use the syslog
daemon. My suggestion would be to define a log file at the top of your
rcfile so that any error messages are recorded. Then wrap the offending
recipe in verbose settings to increase the information for that recipe
only.  Something like:

<cut>

LOG=path/log/file didn't work, but setting LOGFILE to that file did
work. I assume you mixed LOG and LOGFILE up?

Either way, I got my verbose info:
procmail: Match on "^X-list: lfs-discuss"
procmail: Locking "lfsdiscuss.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=lfsdiscuss"
procmail: Opening "lfsdiscuss"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: [3666] Sun Jul 22 22:22:55 2001
procmail: Error while writing to "lfsdiscuss"
procmail: Unlocking "lfsdiscuss.lock"
<cut>

From there it goes on trying other recipies, which fail, then it'll use
the spool file /var/mail/maillist

The first thing that comes to mind: permission problems:
-rw-r--r--    1 maillist maillist 52011055 Jul 22 22:04 lfsdiscuss
This is exactly like the other mailinglists which work fine. Keep in
mind that when I remove a few emails from it to below some threshold, it
won't fail. I just tested this without touching the permissions to
confirm that.

Also, manual procmail still works, so now it's going to be quite fun
debugging postfix and see what it's up to.

Is there a way to get more verbose information why procmail couldn't
write to the file 'lfsdiscuss' (can it log permission problem, memory
problem or something?). I don't see anything to that effect in the man
pages for procmail.

Perhaps it's time to subscribe to the postfix list and see what they
know.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org