Re: procmail invocation via postfix fails on large mbox files

2001-07-22 23:16:49
On 23 Jul, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I hope somebody can help me with the following problem.
|
| The server runs postfix and uses procmail to deliver mail (the config
| file contains mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail). A user account has a
| .procmailrc file containing this:
|
| MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
|
| :0:
| lfsdiscuss
|
| :0:
| lfsapps
|
| [...]
|
| I have done various tests and all lead to the same conclusion that
| procmail stops delivering after a file reaches a certain limit. I
| haven't determined the hard byte size yet in case you need to know it.
|
| [...]
|
| I can't find any procmail errors in any of the sys logs that could help
| me track down the problem, so my last resort was subscribing to this
| list and hope somebody can help me along here.

I don't have any ideas on what might be causing the problem, but AFAIK
all procmail logging is to it's own logfile(s) which you define with a
LOG= statement in the rcfile(s). Procmail does not use the syslog
daemon. My suggestion would be to define a log file at the top of your
rcfile so that any error messages are recorded. Then wrap the offending
recipe in verbose settings to increase the information for that recipe
only.  Something like:

# ~/.procmailrc
LOG=$HOME/.procmail/procmaillog
.
.
[more variable assignments, and/or recipes]
.
.
:0
{
  VERBOSE=yes
  :0:
  lfsdiscuss
}

This should give you some meaningful debugging output in the defined
logfile. You can even change the LOGFILE setting for this one recipe to
isolate the messages. Although, since you don't apparently have one set
at all, that won't matter here.

--
                   /"\
Don Hammond        \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign