Re: procmail and ssh

2001-07-23 11:20:30
Jappe Reuling <jappe(_at_)parcproductions(_dot_)com> writes:
What does an error 255 mean?

Either ssh is unable to do its job or, more likely, it's passing that
status code back from ppp.

But when I let procmail execute the command the ssh connection
is made but it seems that there isn't enought time to execute ppp
corectly because the modem blinks and the connection ends.

Your order of events cannot be correct - the ssh connection can't be
established if the ppp connection wasn't complete.

Hmmm the above sentence is kinda messed up (sorry), let me rephrase:

'But when I let procmail execute the command over the ssh connection,
the connection itself is made but it seems that there isn't enought time
to execute ppp corectly because the modem blinks and the connection
ends.'

I suspect Sean thinks the ssh connection is being made over the PPP link
when it's not.  The ssh command is from another locally connected machine
to the IRIX server which makes the PPP connection.  Right?

I thought the 'w' option ensured that the external program is finished
before continuing?

It should.  What do you figure ssh is doing with the input it's receiving
on stdin?  perhaps it starts to process it, and says WTF?! and terminates.

ssh just feeds its input (the message) to the ppp command.  What's the
ppp command doing with it?

Isn't the '-T' in the ssh command preventing this? If there is no pty
then ssh shouldn't be expecting input should it? Anyway i've tried the
'-n' options which prevents reading from stdin and that wasn't the
sollution.

The -T option tells ssh not to use a pseudo-tty on the far side.  That
has nothing to do with whether the ssh command passes input into the
remote command.  That's controlled by the -n option.

HOWEVER, if you put the -n option on the ssh command, then it won't read
its stdin at all, which will look like an error to procmail unless you
put the 'i' flag on the recipe.  If you didn't include the 'i' flag then
you would have gotten the "Error while writing to..." error in the log.

The whole problem is that ppp gets started but not more than a sec or
a sec or two (the lights on my modem even blink for like half a sec) and
thats it, nothing after that.

Okay, so the ppp command is at least started.  Does _it_ log things
somewhere?  If so, what does it say?

Philip Guenther