Re: Creating a condensed log output

2001-07-25 23:38:24
In your message regarding Re: Creating a condensed log output dated Wed, 25
Jul 2001 20:24:46 -0500, David W. Tamkin said that ...

Sorry for sending this to you personally, I meant to reply to the list.

Thanks David,

Don's message was a big help in understanding logs. Your idea seems perfect
for my needs. I owe you both a beer.

 Tim asked,

 | What I want to do is to
 | create the log with only filtered items reported. IE: all good mail goes
 | to DEFAULT=/var/mail/rice which I dont need to see.
 |
 | Is there any way to create the log with only items NOT sent to
 | /var/mail/rice?

 What Don said at the end of his response is exactly what I thought you
 wanted, Tim.  At the end of your .procmailrc, where procmail would infer

  :0:
  $DEFAULT

 for any messages not yet delivered, put

 LOGABSTRACT=off

 and procmail will not log any messages that are filed in $DEFAULT by dint of
 getting to the end of your .procmailrc.  If you have recipes before the end
 that specifically store mail in $DEFAULT, you could do
 this instead:

  :0 condition-related flags
  * conditions
  {
   LOGABSTRACT=off
   :0:
   $DEFAULT
  }

 but then again, if you are storing a message in $DEFAULT by dint of a
 specific recipe, you might want it logged.

Best Regards,

Tim Rice