Re: NNTP????

2001-07-28 14:46:08
At 11:36 2001-07-28 -0400, Brian C. Doyle wrote:
Can I use PROCMAIL to filter news groups??? If so where would I want to look for more info.

First, I recall that there are some news-to-email gateways out there. If you get and install one, you might be able to handle your news via email, and therefore use procmail in the fashion more as it was intended. I don't use any nntp-to-email gateways, so I can't point you to any or comment on how effective this approach might be.

Automatically (invoked via the nntp agent), I very much doubt it, unless you want to start hacking a newsreader to accomodate it.

Manually, perhaps - but you need to either have the files stored as individual messages, since they lack a 'From ' header, or you'd have to write a script to construct a workable 'From ' header so that formail could split the mailbox. Still, your newsreader isn't going to invoke the procmail filtering.

In short, unless you can find an existing hack to support this, or you plan to do a bunch of coding yourself, I wouldn't hold out that it'll be an easy - or certainly not _streamlined_ process.

I took about 10.2 seconds and performed a websearch on AltaVista for "+nntp +procmail" (as I'm sure that you did before posting your question), and the following document was produced near the top of the large list of results:

        <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>

(FTR, this is Nancy McGough's Quickstart, and is linked from the main page of <http://www.procmail.org>, you DID read the FAQs, right?)

There, you'll note the ONLY references to NNTP are in the context of the NNTP clients accessing your regular mailboxes (which would have been filtered by procmail).