Re: Procmail died...

2001-08-02 22:56:43
On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:53:06AM -0400, Tim Holmes wrote:
And another reason why I know it's not filtering is that it's not
writing to the log.  It was working up to "Fri Jun 29 16:35:36 2001,"
since that's the last entry that procmail made to the log file.  Since
then, there have bee absolutely NO entries to the log.  And my
procmailrc hasn't even been touched since Jul 10th.

Ok, I misread what you meant. I thought you meant it was writing to the log,
but not filtering anything to anywhere but your $DEFAULT. Sounds like procmail
isn't being invoked at all. Have you checked your MTA's log file? What is
Postfix saying?

I don't think there's anyting in there that's wrong, or something that's
complaining.  If there would, it would tell me in the log by saying
there was an error, but it's not touching the log at all.

Yeah, if procmail was being invoked at all, there would be SOMETHING in the
log.

I didn't realize how much I loved procmail until it stopped working.

:)

I even tried using a .forward, and to no avail.  On FreeBSD you
absolutely need it to use procmail,

Correction: in FreeBSD's default configuration you have to invoke procmail
manually through the use of a .forward file. Like any other system, FreeBSD's
MTA can be set up to invoke procmail as the LDA.

in Mandrake, they've bypassed it by some sort of config in Postfix I
believe.  So no .forward is needed, and it's not used.  I tried to take my
.forward from my FreeBSD machine:

[timh(_at_)yoda timh]$ cat .forward
"|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75"

When did you do this? Is this when it broke? Various systems can be VERY
sensitive to the format of the .forward file. Since I set up all my systems to
use procmail as the LDA, I've never really bothered to learn the nuances of
.forward.

And on the PATH= issue: I still maintain that you don't want to set it with
"which procmail" This will get a path of "PATH=/usr/local/bin/procmail".
"PATH=`which procmail | xargs dirname`" would be more acurate, however I would
suggest either leaving it alone, or setting it to something like
"PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin"

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com
http://andrew.pure-chaos.com