procmail logging - not consistent

2001-08-04 12:35:32
Hey all.  I am having trouble getting consistent or reliable logging
from procmail.  Here is what I have at the top of /etc/procmailrc

LOGNAME = $1
EXTENSION = $2
PATH=$1/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
SHELL=/bin/sh
MAILDIR=/usr/cyrus
LOGFILE=/home/cyrus/.procmail.log
DEFAULT=$HOME/
VERBOSE=yes

You probably can tell I use cyrus as my mailer.  This is how it works:

sendmail -> procmail -> deliver (cyrus).

I don't think $HOME gets set in procmailrc, because when I set
LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail.log not all incoming mail will result in a
procmail log entry.  Occasionally I get something like this in
/var/log/maillog:

Aug  4 13:12:38 acadia procmail[3039]: Error while writing to "//.procmail.log"

And I can only seem to get fairly reliable logging by setting the
logfile path explicitly and allowing group writing to it.

In sendmail.mc, I am using the following:

define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``mail:mail'')

and

define(`CYRUS_MAILER_USER',`cyrus:mail')

which implies to me that sendmail should be run as user mail:mail,
while the cyrus mailer (in my case procmail) will be executed as
cyrus:mail.

Does that make sense?  Is something wrong there?  Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc(_at_)acadia(_dot_)ne(_dot_)mediaone(_dot_)net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 Ô¿Ô¬

A classic is something that everyone wants to have read
and nobody wants to read.
    -- Mark Twain, "The Disappearance of Literature"