Re: Duplicated messages not detected (Was: how to sort old mailboxes)

2001-08-10 06:39:31
Marco Fioretti wrote:

Hello,

First of all thank you very much for all your assistance!!

thanks to your help, I've already found a way to considerably reduce
the volume of email I have to sort, and have found another problem,
see below.

I use the following script:

#! /bin/sh
/tmp/cache.tmp
for it in `find $1 -type f`
    do
    echo $it
    cat $it | formail -D 4000000 /tmp/cache.tmp -Y -s procmail -m
/home/marco/MAIL_SORT_20010809/pmrc_step_1
    done

NOW THE SECOND PROBLEM:

This is somewhat specular to the "essential headers" thread seen on
this list last july.

I have realized that many messages don't have all headers (God know
why..), and that, after the first round of sorting, there are many,
many messages which *are* equal (as in "same body and attachments,
same From, To and Date Headers") but the headers are either in
different order, or almost, but not, equal. EX: "Status: RO" vs
purposes, but how can I have formail/procmail to understand this, and
save only one copy?

I have just found by myself the solution to this:

http://www.procmail.org/jari/pm-tips-body.html#modifying_shuffling_headers_always_to

It is not clear however, what will happen to the header not specificalli
mentioned in
the recipe: will they just be copied after the ordered ones as they
appear, will they
be lost, or what?

        Ciao,

                        Marco Fioretti