Re: (2) quota+procmail problem in FreeBSD 4.3

2001-08-10 19:06:29
Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen(_at_)ispro(_dot_)net(_dot_)tr> writes:
I dont have /etc/procmailrc but I have /usr/local/etc/procmailrc
It is a simple file to filter spam though.
here is the file

:0
* !^Subject:.*SiFRELi UYDU KANALLARI ARTIK BEDAVA
* !^Subject:.*UCRETSiZ EGiTiM VE KARSILIKSIZ BURS iMKANI
* !B ?? 123spam123
$HOME/mail/INBOX

:0
/usr/local/users/staff/ard/mail/spam

I was wondering if there can be a problem about the UID of the procmail
process? But I checked a new user I created and his INBOX file which was
created by procmail had the right owner and group ids set.

To quote the procmail(1) manpage:

       Care must be taken when creating /etc/procmailrc, because,
       if circumstances permit, it will  be  executed  with  root
       privileges.

In particular, deliveries done from /etc/procmailrc will be done as
root instead of the user, *unless* you set the DROPPRIVS variable.
To quote procmailrc(5) manpage:

       DROPPRIVS   If set to `yes' procmail will drop all  privi-
                   leges  it might have had (suid or sgid).  This
                   is only useful if you want to  guarantee  that
                   the bottom half of the /etc/procmailrc file is
                   executed on behalf of the recipient.

So, try putting
        DROPPRIVS = yes

right before the recipe in the /etc/procmailrc file that is doing the
problematical delivery.

Philip Guenther