Re: Misunderstanding $=

2001-08-17 12:50:19
Jim Osborn <jimo(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com> writes:
I've tried to use a recipe like this to report the size of a mail:

#Toss huge things
#
:0
* > 500000
{
  LOG="Huge mail received: $=
`formail -XFrom`
"
  LOGABSTRACT=all
  :0
  $TRASH
}

but the size logged is always zero.  I'm obviously misunderstanding
the passage in the procmailrc manpage that says:

"BUGS
      The only substitutions of environment variables  that  can
      be  handled  by  procmail  itself  are  of the type ... $=;
      whereby ... and $= will contain the score of the last recipe."

The recipe above does indeed toss huge things, so I thought I'd
be able to get the "score of the last recipe."  What am I missing?

Size conditions do not automatically use scoring.  That "w^x" described
on the procmailsc(5) manpage describes how scoring works in procmail.

        :0
         * 500000^1 > 500000
        {
           LOG="Huge mail received: $=
`formail -XFrom`
"
           LOGABSTRACT=all
           :0
           $TRASH
        }

According to the formula on the procmailsc(5) manpage, the conditon
        * 500000^1 > 500000
will generate a score equal to the size of the message.

Philip Guenther