Re: Misunderstanding $=

2001-08-18 09:03:50
Jim replied,

| Thanks for the insight, guys; I know a lot more about scoring
| than I did.

You're welcome.

| One last question, though, what's the meaning of
| the "${MATCH-without a From: header}" construct?  I'm quite
| familiar with $MATCH, but I haven't seen that augmentation.
| Is that syntax from a newer procmail?

No, it's a very old sh construct that procmail honors.  The procmairlc(5)
and sh(1) man pages should both describe it.

It means if MATCH is set, use the value of $MATCH; if it is not set, use
"without a From: header" instead.  So if you get a huge message with a From:
header, procmail will log

 Huge item received: 681239472 bytes
 From: jerk(_at_)no(_dot_)brains

but if it has no From: header, procmail will log

 Huge item received: 423970854 bytes
 without a From: header