Re: man page format (was readme or tutorial for multiple users)

2001-08-18 08:51:56
Tim asked,

| One last question: I ran man procmail > procmail.txt which copied the man
| pages to my home dir. I then FTP'd procmail.txt to my win 98 computer, but
| it is full of Ctrl characters. How can I get the Man pages in a text file
| format? I've tried ascii & binary transfers and both methods end up with
| ctrl characters.

You get those characters because they're really there in the file.  The man
command puts out a lot of formatting designed for display on a terminal
screen, and it's not your transfer protocol that's adding them.  This worked
for me:

  man whatever_command | col -bx > whatever_command.txt

You'll lose the underlining and bolding, but you probably won't need them.

As Wash has said, you'll also get just LFs as ends-of-line, but if you FTP
it in ASCII mode, FTP should convert them to CR/LF.