Re: readme or tutorial for multiple users

2001-08-18 01:14:56
* Tim Rice <tim(_at_)thaistuff(_dot_)com> [20010818 10:29]: writing on the
subject 'Re: readme or tutorial for multiple users'
| In your message regarding readme or tutorial for multiple users dated Thu,
| 16 Aug 2001 16:21:13 +0700, Tim Rice said that ...
|
| Since no one replied to this I've tried to re-think the process. I now
| think I need one generic .procmailrc file to filter each users mail to
| their own custom.rc file, including a custom.rc for myself. The custom.rc
| would make the final delivery and have its own unique varibles,
| blacklists,etc.
|
| Is this correct?

You seem to be wanting to use procmail as the LDA (Local Delivery
Agent) for your SMTP Daemon.
This way every user can have a .procmailrc in their $HOME/ which will
determine the fate of messages addressed to them. Isn't that what you
want?
In which case you need to know what your SMTP daemon is and HOWTO
configure it to use procmail as the LDA.
For Sendmail, Ive seen numerous posts on this list by Mr. Guenther that
you can use. For Exim, there is a FAQ at www.exim.org (although I haven't
managed to get it to work for me but that could be something to do with my
level of literacy/stupidity). For other MTAs, sincerely I don't know.

| If I call another rc file (IE:spambouncer) from within the custom.rc file
| will SB return to the custom.RC file (where it was called from) or the
| generic/master .procmailrc file?

It will return to the rcfile from which it was called.

| One last question: I ran man procmail > procmail.txt which copied the man
| pages to my home dir. I then FTP'd procmail.txt to my win 98 computer, but
| it is full of Ctrl characters. How can I get the Man pages in a text file
| format? I've tried ascii & binary transfers and both methods end up with
| ctrl characters.

You might want to try a utility called unix2dos that converts the file
into a dos format before you tx it to the Winblows machine. You did not
say what OS you're running so my guess as to the availability of this util
is limited to the FreeBSD that I use. But why duplicate manpages anyway?
Can't you just configure things and access the HOWTOs and FAQs that are on
the Internet from Winblows? I am sure you have Internet access somehow via
the Unix box. All it takes is some few changes on this box to let the
Winblows one access the Internet but that is beyond the scope of this
list.

| Thanks in Advanced!

I hope that answered (even partly) your questions ;-)

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,

If you act like you know what you're doing, you can do anything you want --
except neurosurgery.
-John Lowenstein