Re: readme or tutorial for multiple users

2001-08-18 04:55:15
* Tim Rice <tim(_at_)thaistuff(_dot_)com> [20010818 14:24]: writing on the
subject 'Re: readme or tutorial for multiple users'
| In your message regarding Re: readme or tutorial for multiple users dated
| Sat, 18 Aug 2001 11:09:04 +0300, Odhiambo Washington said that ...
|
| Thanks for the reply,
|
| >  You seem to be wanting to use procmail as the LDA (Local Delivery
| >  Agent) for your SMTP Daemon.
| >  This way every user can have a .procmailrc in their $HOME/ which will
| >  determine the fate of messages addressed to them. Isn't that what you
| >  want?
|
| I *think so* but I'm not familiar with all the terminology.

SMTP daemon is simply your Qmail or Sendmail or whetever program that is
used to deliver both incoming and outgoing mail.

| >  In which case you need to know what your SMTP daemon is and HOWTO
| >  configure it to use procmail as the LDA.
|
| It used to be Sendmail, now it's Qmail which seems to use a sendmail "lite"
| equivalent. I use Qmail's Sendmail and Procmail works. This is what I have
| to have in my forward file in order to use procmail with qmail:
|
| My .forward file:
| "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #my account"
|
| Is this what I need to change to deliver to individual accounts?

Now the thing to do is to stick TWO files into each user's home directory.
One file is the .forward and you have to change the #my_account to match
their login names.
The second file is a .procmailrc
Both files _must_ be owned by the individual users.

| >  | If I call another rc file (IE:spambouncer) from within the custom.rc file
| >  | will SB return to the custom.RC file (where it was called from) or the
| >  | generic/master .procmailrc file?
| >
| >  It will return to the rcfile from which it was called.
| Thanks
|
| >  You might want to try a utility called unix2dos that converts the file
| >  into a dos format before you tx it to the Winblows machine. You did not
| >  say what OS you're running so my guess as to the availability of this util
| >  is limited to the FreeBSD that I use. But why duplicate manpages anyway?
|
| My server has freebsd and I just tried unix2dos. It didn't help, I still
| have the black boxes scattered throughout the body of the text. I can read
| the Man pages with telnet, but I wanted to print them out for reference. My
| server's in the US and I'm on a dialup from Thailand.

Just read the FAQs and the HOWTOs. Else install FreeBSD or whetever flavor
of Unix on this Windows box ;-) Why are you stuck with Windows anyway?

| >  I hope that answered (even partly) your questions ;-)
|
| It's been a big help in getting a better understanding of what I want. I
| tried calling via.rc like this from my .procmailrc and it failed miserably:
|
| :0
| * ^TO_address
| | {INCLUDERC=$VIADIR/via.rc}
|
| Is it possible to call a RCFILE for only one receipt?

I am not experienced with those braces and other things but to call
another rcfile from within an rcfile, you simply put this:

INCLUDERC=/path/to/via.rc

Below is a snip from my .procmailrc (I use FreeBSD and so some things
might differ from yours as I see your server is Linux-ish)

####

## PMDIR: ProcMail DIRectory"
## Directory where procmail stores its log and rc files
# 990409:
PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
PMDIR=$HOME/.LOG/
## LOGFILE: procmail's log file.
#LOGFILE=$PMDIR/Proclog_`/bin/date +%y_%m_%d`       #Logs message disposition.
FILEDIR=$HOME/wash/

# "VERBOSE=on" is only used for debugging.
# Benefits:  The log file will tell you a lot about almost every decision
# that Procmail does.  And you get to see the line numbers to error messages,
#too.

VERBOSE=on
LOGABSTRACT=all

## MAILDIR:
## I suggest you create either $HOME/mail or $HOME/Mail
## and then you create a symbolic link to the other, eg
##      $ mkdir $HOME/Mail
##      $ ln -s $HOME/Mail $HOME/mail

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

SHELL=/bin/sh

# If you need to set SHELL then *avoid* the "csh" and "tcsh"!!!
#Set rules that are used to filter incoming mail
#You can do this even with different files (ambiguous!)

INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.testing
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.mailists
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.viruses
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.spam
#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.vacation

Of course I have so much garbage after those lines....

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington
Wananchi Online Ltd.,