Re: Excessive output quenched from "cat"

2001-08-19 14:18:53
Philip, et. al.,

"Hank Ratzesberger" <hankr(_at_)griffinwerks(_dot_)com> writes:

*ALL* procmail error messages are documented on the procmail(1) manpage.

Yes, thank you, I see this now and the LINEBUF variable.

So, I think `cat` is definitely the wrong way to pass the list to sendmail.

Actually, your solution using an alias was a better way to handle
the list.  What were the "lock" issues that you were having?

I was getting the following errors in the maillog:

procmail: Kernel-lock failed
procmail: Kernel-unlock failed
procmail: Timeout, terminating "/usr/home/radic3/bin/sendmail"
procmail: Error while writing to "/usr/home/radic3/bin/sendmail"

I read now that Kernel-lock is not a critical error.  I was using
the following options in my procmail script:

sendmailOPT=" -oem -odb -oi -f$listaddr "

announcements-outbound: :include:/etc/mail/lists/announcements.txt

listdist=$listname-outbound

:0 Aw
! $sendmailOPT $listdist

I am fairly certain now, that the problem was some mail servers
would time out while mail was delivered in background delivery mode.

I am going to try this in queueonly mode to see if that makes
a difference and try the alias again.

(Even better than that would be to install a real mailing list manager,
but that's beyond the scope of this response.)

Yes, I need to automate management better, but mail is an application
I was not familiar enough with.

Thanks again for your tips.

Hank

Hank Ratzesberger