Re: Excessive output quenched from "cat"

2001-08-18 20:41:34
"Hank Ratzesberger" <hankr(_at_)griffinwerks(_dot_)com> writes:
My procmail script to manage a mailing list is having some problems.

When I passed the list as an alias, I got "lock" issues. Now, I pass the
list by "cat" on the command line.

My log file contains the message:

Excessive output quenched from "cat"

I have not been able to find information on this error.

*ALL* procmail error messages are documented on the procmail(1) manpage.
Whenever you get a message from procmail that you don't understand,
look in the DIAGNOSTICS section of the manpage.  To quote the relevant
entry for this case:

       Excessive output quenched from "x"
                              The  program or filter "x" tried to
                              produce too  much  output  for  the
                              current  LINEBUF, the rest was dis-
                              carded.

So, your list of addresses is too large for LINEBUF, so procmail is
cutting of the end.   Setting LINEBUF to a value larger than the size
of the address list file should resolve that issue for now.

Actually, your solution using an alias was a better way to handle
the list.  What were the "lock" issues that you were having?

(Even better than that would be to install a real mailing list manager,
but that's beyond the scope of this response.)

Philip Guenther