Re: can root use procmail?

2001-08-21 10:20:42
At 02:56 2001-08-21 -0700, Andrew Edelstein wrote:
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 11:16:15AM -0400, Bill Perkins wrote:
> Hello,
> I've searched the documentation, and I can't seem to get the root user to
> use procmail. I'm running Linux 7.1, procmail 3.15.2, I have the standard

There is no "Linux 7.1". The most recent Linux kernel is 2.4.9. I assume you
mean you're running Redhat Linux 7.1?

Slack, SuSE, Debian... there are a lot of distros in the 7's. Some, such as Mandrake are in the 8's now. A distro version number DOES NOT equate to a kernel version, and of course, "Linux 7.1" is meaningless without the name of the distribution. You may as well just say "Linux".

> for this behaviour, or is having root use procmail a Bad Thing? Any
> feedback would be appreciated.

In general you don't want to be reading mail as root.

As was posted under this subject yesterday, the secure (and therefore, proper) solution is to alias the root mailbox to a different user. Then you're not exposing the root user to possibly vulnerability exploits, since the mail is never being handled by that account.