Re: grep ^kayve: /etc/passwd

2001-08-23 19:41:13

(Note that NONE of this is within the scope of procmail discussion, but in an
attempt to get him started on the right track...)

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 05:15:09PM -0700, Kayven Riese wrote:
% grep ^kayve: /etc/passwd
kayve:!:31860:31860:Kayven Riese,S M
Ophthalmolo,476.3254:/u7/users/k/kayve:/bin/bsh

passwd??? ::grunt:: i don't SEE my passwd there.
is 31860 my disk usage? 31 MBytes?

<sigh> I'm going to regret this, but...
man -s4 passwd

Type "exit" to menus
% man -s4 passwd
man: Not a recognized flag: s
Usage: man [[[-ct] [section]] | [-f | -k]] [-M path] name...
%
     silly there is no god.. what creates creator? does not compute
and violates thermodynamics.

the only track i see is that u guys r hEAVILY *#$&@*#&ing with me.. i
just play along and make u out to be the freeks that ur

umm.. sorry about the byte discussion.. IF that is what u meant by
that (the world will never *#@&*#&ing know what the *#&@*#& u mean..
but oh well)

i am not aware EXACTLY how relevent looking at my lamoe bourne shell
is from all these different angels is.. it smells SORT of right to me..
the problem with my procmail is something REALLYR REALLY a prioir to
discusion of recipies.. some permsioon freek NONE of the *#&@*#&
.forward files do freek..

so i learn procmail? so what?? (this is in reference to the clear
conspiracy demanding that i DON"T in my assessment!)
who's to
say i WONT finally have the
motivational vision i need to use it to process the ocular ciliary
body??

for a change.. this freek is MILDLY stimulating ( i mean OT)

(and I hope to god AIX uses the same manual sections as Solaris...)
If not,
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/files/aixfiles/passwd.htm#HDRX9A1F0FRIT

Your password is the second field (the !). You don't see it because 1) the
password itself is in another file (/etc/security/password, in AIX) that is
readable only by root, and 2) even if it wasn't shadowed, it would still be
encrypted. 31860 is your UID (as well as your primary GID).

o consarnt let me do the math agin..
Filesystem    512-blocks      Free %Used    Iused %Iused Mounted on

%512 blocks.. does that mean i should have divided by two above
and came to the conclusion that i am using about 15.5MBytes?

It's telling you that the data it's showing you is in 512kilobyte size blocks.
Thus yes, divide the numbers by 2 to get a rough approximation of the number
of MB shown. However this tells you nothing about how much disk space you
personally are using.

hey.. i am not dumb.. if i was using freek 60Gbytes i would be nuked
in nothun flat OBVIOUSLy.. i am using about 30 MBytes.. i am pretty
sure.. i think i did that with ws_ftp or someting i don't remember.
no i suppose ls -l  but i don't remember how i did my umpteen
subdirectories.

Kayven, I don't mean to be insulting or anything, but you
might consider
picking up a copy of a basic Unix book, such as Oreilly's "Learning the UNIX
Operating System" ( http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunix4/ )

i am considering it.. i know there is more to unix than ls ps -x
that i don't know..
but still.. i think there r some seriously OT issues
here .
and i don't know why it is so *#@&#*ed difficult for people to
i don't know cripes. i don't know what to freekin say about it anymore..
i know yer completely disintrested but somebody gave me a link to
this aix doo dad that i plastad on http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~kayve

--
Andrew Edelstein      -       andrew(_at_)pure-chaos(_dot_)com
http://andrew.pure-chaos.com