Re: sed hint needed

2001-08-30 14:26:34
mark david mcCreary <mdm(_at_)internet-tools(_dot_)com> writes:
THe sed utility is giving me a different behavior under Sed 3.02 and
Debian 2.2, than Sed 2.05 and Red Hat 5.1

sed -n 1l dist

used to get me the first line of the file called dist.

Now it gets me the first line with an appended $ symbol, evidently
representing the Newline.

Well, yes.  To quote the sed manpage:

       l      List out the current line in a ``visually unambigu\xAD
              ous'' form.

If you just want it to print out the line literally, use 'p' instead of 'l'.

Or better yet, if you just want the first line of the file, use
        head -1 dist

Philip Guenther