need a recipe to allow resending as a specific user

2001-08-30 14:27:08
I'd like the ability to send an email from any outside account to an
intermediary personal account which then re-sends the email as that personal
account.  For instance, I send email from me(_at_)my(_dot_)work(_dot_)com to
resend(_at_)my(_dot_)house(_dot_)com but intended for
friend(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)else(_dot_)com(_dot_)
resend(_at_)my(_dot_)house(_dot_)com then sends the email "from"
me(_at_)my(_dot_)house(_dot_)com to
friend(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)else(_dot_)com(_dot_)

I'm using recent versions of sendmail, procmail, and formail on
my.house.com's mail server.

a) is procmail the appropriate tool to do this?
b) if so, where can I get a first-time-user how-to for procmail?
c) knowing that this is a little more complex a task than simple forwarding,
any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
d) if procmail isn't the tool, any other suggestions?

Specifically, I'll need to somehow "embed" the real recipients' addresses in
a place that procmail (or some other tool) can find it and use it.  Then I'd
need to write the recipe to suck out the addresses and resend the email as
if it were sent by my home user account.

I've thought about sending mail to something like
resend+me++friend+somewhere(_dot_)else(_dot_)com(_at_)my(_dot_)home(_dot_)com(_dot_)
  But this is a little
cumbersome, especially when sending to multiple recipients.  And the mail
client I'm using most of the time in this scenerio is Outlook/Exchange,
which doesn't allow me to manipulate headers on the client side easily.

Thanks,
        Brian Dupras

p.s. I'm willing to hear about other methods than procmail.  But since this
is a procmail forum, send those types of responses directly to me at
brian(_at_)duprasville(_dot_)com(_dot_)