Re: cannot bounce mail successfully

2001-09-03 00:25:05
On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:58:04PM -0700, Andrew Edelstein wrote:
I want to bounce the mail with a descriptive Subject line. This works
but there is always a copy of the email left in the MTA queue although
the procmail recipe has been executed successful.

You probably need to tell your MTA that delivery was successful (that is, that
the message was successfully handed off to the LDA), before it will remove the
message from the queue. If it thinks the LDA is failing, it will attempt to
redeliver for a certain amount of time. Once it passes it to the LDA, it's not
the MTA's problem if the user is over quota. Determining what to do about it
(including sending a response back to the original sender) is the job of the
LDA.

That's exactly what I am doing with my recipes. procmail is the LDA. If
delivery fails procmail sends a message back to the sender. But although
this happens a copy of the failed mail goes to the MTA queue. According
to the procmail man pages this shouldn't happen if a delivering recipe
is executed successfully.

 Werner