Re: Variables in .procmailrc

2001-09-04 11:47:30
From: John Heyer <john(_at_)snake(_dot_)supranet(_dot_)net>

In my .procmailrc file, I have variable called DEFAULT to put my mail in
/var/mail when it's determined to be important, i.e.

DEFAULT=/var/mail/john

Is there any way to do this without explicitly putting my username in?  I
tried using the $MAIL and $USER variables that show up in my shell, but
they do not seem to be recognized by procmail.

From `man procmailrc':

  ORGMAIL               /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
                        (Unless -m has been specified, in which  case  it  is
                        unset)

So `$LOGNAME' in your case will equal `john'; but you don't
need to bother with what you've attempted, anyway, because $ORGMAIL
already is set to that (assuming proper compile).

Note, from the same man page, that $DEFAULT already comes pre-set
to $ORGMAIL, as well.  Sometimes there might be a reason one would
want to change $DEFAULT; but changing $ORGMAIL inside the .procmailrc
is usually frowned upon.

--
dman