Re: how to handle case

2001-09-14 12:42:47
Andrew told Rino,

| He could be referring to the way PGP signed mail appears in Outlook.  I
| notice you're signing your mail.  This wraps your mail in another MIME
| layer.

Is that what Rino is doing, Andrew?  Thank you for explaining.  Yes, the
presence of any attachment requires MIME-wrapping.  The message may look
like plain text as it leaves the sender's screen but in order to attach
something the MUA has to wrap it before it reaches the MTA.

I've seen PGP signatures as in-line text (they are unnecessary on this list
anyway; do we have to prove who asked a question if someone benefits, or who
answered it if the answer is non-harmful [or even helpful]?).  That saves
all the extra headers and separators of MIME-wrapping.

Sometimes I read mail with Elm on a shell session to Ripco, and I have
NOMETAMAIL set, so it shows just as source text, and Rino's posts would
likely be legible that way (though the wrapping would be annoying to page
through).  Thus a lot depends on the timing.  Since a sender cannot control
when I read mail which way (nor when I read it at all), and I cannot control
when a person posts, and neither of us can control when the list software
sends a post out, it all comes out pretty random.

Source can be viewed in Outlook Express but it's a big pain under POP3 and a
considerably bigger one under IMAP.  [In order to preserve the separation of
my mail into folders by procmail, I view it with IMAP.]